Sunday, March 13, 2016

Deathwatch Challenge

Last week Games Workshop's latest 40k board game, Deathwatch: Overkill, arrived on my doorstep and was greeted with much excitement on my part. I'm a huge fan of the Warhammer 40,000 universe and an even bigger fan of Space Hulk. Space Hulk is one of those seminal games for me - I remember saving up to get it and playing it over and over with my brother. We had watched the game intently at the first US Games Day (it was held in an Elk's Lodge in Baltimore - yes, I'm THAT old) and we spent the intervening year honing our skills to play the following year. Space Hulk is a board game that despite any perceived rules wonkiness really does everything to sell its theme. Everything works to ensure the feeling of claustrophobia and rapid decision making and its one of my all-time favorite games because of that. So, based on the images of Deathwatch:Overkill, buying it was kind of a no-brainer for me.

In all its glory!

Deathwatch:Overkill clocks in a pretty hefty price tag - $165. That gave me pause for moment, but I justified it to myself because I really wanted to paint all the models. I don't view painting a necessary evil towards gaming, so the quality of a game's components mean a lot to me. Deathwatch:Overkill doesn't skimp on the production values. Everything here is up to Workshop's regular high standards of sculpting, engineering and design. GW's products have always pushed the limits of what the market will bear, but I can't say I've ever felt regret after purchasing one of their products.


So with the new game in my soft little artist's hands, I was kind of resigned to eventually getting around to this project in the future but some friendly joking with my good friend Rob Hawkins (of the Rob Hawkins Hobby Blog) set up a situation where we would each be competing to get a box set fully painted. He would paint his long ignored copy of Dreadfleet and I would paint up Deathwatch:Overkill instead of letting it gather dust on top of my copy of Horus Heresy: Betrayal at Calth. You can follow along on both blogs to see our progress and who finishes first!

So, first thing's first: I set about assembling the first frame of Genestealers. Everything went together smoothly, though the layout of the frame does create a bit of a "Where's Waldo?" feeling at times seeing as some parts are no where near their compatriots.

Darren Latham's originals! Not mine bub.
When it came to paint schemes, I was really taken by an alternate scheme for the Genestealers posted by Eavy Metal painter Darren Latham. It had a really nice industrial feel reminiscent of a Rebel pilot flight suit from Star Wars or the works of concept legend Ron Cobb's art (best know for designing the sets and suits from Alien) - so I had to give it a try. My first test model painted up quite nicely and think that they will end up being a great contrast to the mostly black armor of the Space Marines. I managed to crank out 5 1st and 2nd generation hybrids this weekend, so I feel like I'm off to a good start!

Test model.


Progress thus far.
My plan is to try and get the minimum units required for the first mission and play some. So check back for thoughts about the game play in the future.

Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. Looking good. I love that color scheme too. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to picking up a copy of Deathwatch Overkill myself. Nostalgia factor is huge! Awesome minis too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet. Nice change from purple paint scheme!

    ReplyDelete