Saturday, March 23, 2019

Armored Might!

"2019 is the year I get serious about adding some armor." I sent that text to a buddy that I play the Horus Heresy against a while back and now it seems like I'm trying to make good on that promise. This week, I built and painted a Sicaran Battle Tank to add to my Imperial Fists. I've always liked the look of the Sicaran - it hits a lot of the design beats of the Land Raider, while maintaining a sleek, predatory look all its own. And it'll add a ton of firepower to the army.

A Tactical Squad Sergeant gives some idea of the scale of the Sicaran.

The kit was a pretty easy build. The only real issues I had was some of the resin where the massive feed gates on the tracks were cut off left two areas that weren't totally cured. I simply cut some plasticard and covered over these areas - easy peasy. Otherwise, the rest of the kit was a dream. Very little warping to correct, and reasonably tight fits otherwise. 

I tried to keep the tank pretty simple - its very easy to go nuts with weathering and chipping. I wanted to still have a nice bright yellow visible at the end.
After initial assembly - leaving the turret as a separate piece until the end - I undercoated the whole thing with Model Master's Afrika Mustard spray. Then I did a few coats of thinned down GW Yriel Yellow sprayed through an airbrush.
The longest part of the paint job was having to put several thin layers of black over the areas I wanted to cover. I usually don't mind 2 thin coats, but to get a really solid black over yellow it took at least 4 to 5 coats. Which was tedious as hell.
I really can't wait to get this thing on the battlefield. 

Next on deck is a pair of Rhino APCs to give me some mobility. I'll be approaching them the same way and can't wait to have a real armored element available for my army.

Cheers!





1 comment: