Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Veterans and Volkites!

I've been busy lately drawing and cutting out paper figures, but I haven't neglected my regular painting duties. Some friends and I are planning a big game of the Horus Heresy in the coming weeks, and I've been nattering away at some reinforcements.

First up are some classic Rogue Trader era Space Marines. I picked these guys up on kind of a lark - its been fun to apply my current painting skills to old models that when I originally owned them I painted terribly. Sometimes I think that's 90% of the nostalgia of Oldhammer for me. The new sculpts are better by pretty much every measure, but the chance to go back and get a second bite at the apple has a big appeal.

Everyone's head is suffering from some different form of hydrocephaly, it looks like.
I'm going to use these guys as a Veteran Squad. I see them as having been some of the Emperor's original experiments in gene-altering, before he got the process right and marines became semi-proportional.

Next, I am also adding a Heavy Weapon Squad with some Volkite Culverins. I picked up the weapons and have modified them a bit to fit onto plastic Mark III armor (which makes up the vast proportion of my army). 

The resin bits on these guys are super delicate and were really finicky to build. But I'm happy with how they turned out.

I hope to add some more Tactical Marines to a couple of squads soon, but in the meantime I'm trying to finish up a War Cry starter set for a buddy.

Cheers!


2 comments: