Sunday, February 25, 2018

Mixed Bag 10: Week of Weird

This has been an odd hobby week for me. I filled out a 10 man Heavy Support Squad for my 30k
Imperial Fists and then spent the remainder of my time painting up odd models that have been sitting on my desk lamenting their colorlessness in sullen silence. It felt good to clear some off, but there are still soooooo many still left.

"First, choose the target of the Emperor's Wrath. Then intone the ancient chant of the Heavy Bolter Operator -
Let. Us. Rock. Then, depress the firing stud for a controlled burst." - Catechism of the Heavy Bolter

I finished five more Heavy Bolter marines for the squad because, hey - if I'm gonna play Heresy Era Warhammer, I'm gonna do it the whole way. I'm looking forward to seeing how much fun this unit will be in an actual battle, or if I will just dream of Games Workshop releasing an Ulanor Crusade supplement where I get to fight Orks forever.

After getting these cats done, I turned my attention to a couple of models that were made by Patrick Keith for his Bombshell Miniatures line from some art by yours truly. For the 10 years + that I've done concept art for miniature companies, painting something I worked on never gets old.

I added a bit of plastic Ork hair to the mace to make the censer smoke. 
She ended up much more raccoon eyed than I intended, so I may revisit the model at a later time. Easy to do when I've got a bunch of extra castings!

Moving from fantasy, I then grabbed a couple of weird science fiction models I had around. These are modern sculpts, and I can't remember for the life of me who made them, but they ooze a "certain" 80's charm. I don't know what I'll use these for, but I guess sometimes things don't need a purpose beyond just being fun.

"Oh, Mitch Lazer! You're so handsome!!" "Burp. Thanks Sheila-12. I know it."
Then I tied it all together with a time traveling theme by finishing two more models for my Time Bandits mob, Pig Og and Kevin. Kevin's face is little grotty, but I can live with it.
Sir Oinks-a-lot and Martin Freeman, err… Kevin! Yep. Kevin.

Finally, I finished up the week by getting in a couple of games of Lion Rampant. I really want to like this game, so my buddy Ron and I noodled with the rules a bit. We had a first great game, but the second game shit the bed because of the damn command system. Still, we had enough fun that we were both interested in painting up some more units for our armies. I guess that's positive?

The game system may not be my favorite, but the battle ALWAYS looks great.

Going into this week I'm a little unsure of what I'm going to work on next. Which is a little strange for me. I guess I just have to open myself up the magic. Or some bullshit like that. :)

Cheers!










No comments:

Post a Comment