Sunday, April 29, 2018

Mixed Bag 11: Mixbo Baggins

So last week I neglected posting not because I missed out on painting anything, but mostly because everything I was working on was in various states of progress. The end of this week brought a bunch of projects to a close and should be more interesting to read about. Or not. I don't tell you how to live your life…

First up were a pair of Armiger Warglaives from the new 40k starter "Forgebane". My friend Chris had picked up the set and I offered to paint these goobers up in House Krast livery since I'd painted his  Knight previously.

These were nice kits and went together well. If I had one complaint, its that they really are just scaled down versions of the Knight - almost identical in parts and build. I was expecting a little less involved construction with these cats, but it turned out fine I guess. 
If nothing else, these guys definitely gave me the chance
 to paint all the free hand hazard striping I could eat. 
I had to slightly cut down the House Krast crest (say that
five times fast) in order for it to fit on the carapace.
I was still happy with the end result.

I also finished up my ten man unit of Breachers for my Horus Heresy army. Then, as a break from painting so much yellow, I knocked out a Primus Medicae Consul for the army as well. Whew. I've just got another Vindicator to paint and the army will be at 3k points. I'll have to take some big shots of all those chuck heads together soon. 

I'm really pleased with how these guys turned out, but man was it a slog to get them done. 
"Tell me where it hurts. Everywhere? Good. Good."

Then I spent an evening applying transfers to the shields on my Arab spearmen. The decals are from Little Big Men Studios  range. They were very reasonably priced, even for shipping them to the US, and gave the models a nice "pop" once applied. This was my first time using them, and they are a little unusual, but give good results. They almost apply more like stickers than traditional decals. 

I've got enough for the rest of the army, but I'm not sure if I'd use them again in the future. That is ONLY the result of
owning a very nice printer myself and knowing how to make my own decals. For anyone not in that situation, they are an excellent product!

Finally, I finished up the second unit of Arkanauts for my burgeoning Kharadron Overlord army. These guys also felt like they took forever, but were worth the effort. Maybe I need a break from painting ten man units? The next biggest unit in this army is five guys, so hopefully that will help shake the cobwebs from my noggin and get me into a proper painting headspace.

My growing force from Barak O-Bomb-ya.
I'll be here all week. Please tip
your waitress…

Next up are probably some more Overlords, then the Vindicator tank. I hope to finish up around the moment a special treat I ordered from Forge World arrives…

Cheers!










1 comment:

  1. Blimey that really is a mixed bag.

    Lots of cool finished bits there!

    ReplyDelete